- To develop competence in Removable Prosthodontics, each student must treat at least 6 fully edentulous/partially edentulous patients requiring definitive prostheses (including at least one of the following: immediate and remote complete denture, cast metal framework RPD, implant or natural tooth retained over-denture, or implant supported fixed denture
- By the end of Preclinical Removable Prosthodontics, every student has participated in “Denture Block,” and this patient experience counts as the first of the 6 recommended patients.
- Patients treated at the extramural clinic supplement, rather than substitute for, the 6 recommended patients at the dental school.
- Students are expected to perform all diagnostic and procedural steps for assigned patients, with increasing independence and competence. Sharing or transferring patients in mid-treatment is strongly discouraged.
- Post insertion care by the assigned student is expected for all patients receiving removable prosthetic services.
- Patients with newly delivered dentures should never be referred to the dental school’s emergency services.
- Please refer to the Reconstructive Guidelines for details on competency examinations.