Patient Categories for Dental Hygiene Care
Without DDS Student Referral
New Patient sees hygiene for preventive care/radiographs:
- Has own DDS- is referred back to DDS after preventive care
- Has no DDS- is referred to the DH student’s group practice for ODTP (DH student to AxiUm email their GPC)
Note: DH student or Christine Gironella will review the clinic policies about being a patient at Dugoni. If any patient might be BTS, Dr. Gallagher can be called to consult before moving forward.
Patient who has been to Dugoni but not for 2+ years schedules with Dental Hygiene for preventive care.
Following DH preventive care:
- Referred to DH student’s group practice for ODTP (DH student to AxiUm email their GPC)
With DDS Student Referral
Patient is referred to DH student from DDS student for periodic re-care (Prophy, PM) without a DDS recall exam first:
Following completion of DH preventive care:
- If patient has dental tx needs: patient is referred to DDS student for recall exam (HG student send AxiUm email to DDS student & GPL recapping the treatment provided)
- If patient has NO dental tx needs: patient is only referred to DDS student if there is an area of concern (HG student send AxiUm email to DDS student & GPL recapping the treatment provided)
Patient is referred to DH student after DDS ODTP/Recall Exam for Prophy or PM by DH student in their Group Practice:
- Patient is treated by DH student (HG student send AxiUm email to DDS student & GPL recapping the treatment provided)
Dental Hygiene Program Information
Dental Hygiene Care Provided
Several appointments may be necessary for a recall with dental hygiene to be completed. They are learning, just as we are; treatment time will vary depending on the complexity of the patient’s mouth and oral condition. The care provided by DH includes:
- Update HHx (including Dental History and Vital Signs)
- Head and Neck Exam (Oral Cancer Screening)
of Assessments recently completed by DDS student or completion of
Assessments if not recently (within the past three months) examined by
- HT Chart, including ICDAS
- Perio Charting, including calculus detection
- Oral Hygiene Instruction
- Provision of appropriate preventive or therapeutic care
Ideally, every other perio recall would go to Dental Hygiene. That way, our patients maintain proper perio treatment and our appointments are freed up to do restorative type work. We will still see them for every other perio recall to examine them ourselves and stay familiar with their oral condition. DDS students receive credit for referrals to DH.
Coordinating the Referral
The patient or dental student can contact the Dental Hygiene Clinic Coordinator at their office on the 3rd floor reception area, on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday mornings. The DH Clinic Coordinator will assign the patient to a DH student in the appropriate group practice.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Dr. Lundergan or Lory Laughter (Llaughter@pacific.edu or 415-780-2069).